In light of the current situation regarding Covid-19, Oxford Brookes University have decided that none of our Discover Brookes Summer Schools will take place on campus. Instead, we have decided to run an exciting virtual alternative from Monday 13 - Friday 24 July 2020, and would like to welcome you to take part in this fantastic opportunity! If you'd like to apply, please fill in the application form by the deadline of Wednesday 24 June 2020, using this link: Application form. More information about what you can expect from the Summer School is available below.
The Virtual Summer School will be taking place during term time, but we’d like to reassure you that the activities we are planning will take a maximum of 2 hours a day, if you wish to complete them all. Some of these activities will be ‘live’, and it would be beneficial for you to take part in them as they’re happening, if you’re able to. However, the majority of the content will be available for you to explore at whatever time and pace suits you in a Virtual Discover Brookes Hub website, and where possible all live sessions will be recorded and stored here to view again later.
In advance of the Virtual Summer School, you will be given a suggested schedule to show you the way it’s intended for you to take part in activities, but some of these sessions will be optional. The benefit of a virtual event is that we can design it to give you more choice over the activities you wish to take part in, to create your own bespoke experience and direct your own learning. An overview of some of the activities you will be able to take part in includes:
- Meeting your Virtual Summer School flatmates and talking to a current Brookes student mentor via our Brightside mentoring platform (more details below)
- Sampling different academic taster sessions within your subject area
- Making a contribution to a collaborative academic project, on your choice of an assignment or question
- Taking part in fun social activities to get to know each other
- Participating in a session focusing on your wellbeing, and learning more about the support services available at Oxford Brookes
- Going on virtual tours of Oxford Brookes campus, and key places in and around Oxford city centre
- Understanding more about how Student Finance works, and how to budget for university life
- Receiving support and guidance on how to choose a university/college and a course, including getting some individual feedback on your personal statement
(Please note that these activities are provisional and may be subject to slight change.)
A really useful part of the Virtual Summer School will be our online mentoring, run through a messaging platform called Brightside. For this, you will be paired with a current Brookes student, and also placed in a virtual ‘flat’ with other Summer School participants. You’ll be able to chat to your student mentor 1:1, to ask them any questions you have about their experience of university life, and receive advice and guidance from someone who was making the same decisions as you a few years ago! You’ll also be able to get to know your Virtual Summer School flatmates in group chats and by taking part in activities together. Brightside has enhanced safeguarding provisions, in that all student mentors are trained and DBS checked, and all messages sent via the platform are carefully moderated before being received, so this will be a safe space for you.
Lastly, throughout the Virtual Summer School there will be opportunities to win prizes for your participation in different activities! There will also be a final ‘Graduation’ ceremony on Friday 24 July, where we will present awards to participants who make great contributions and display high engagement and enthusiasm for the Virtual Summer School activities.
We hope you'd like to take part, and look forward to receiving your application! If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.