The University of Southampton is an inclusive environment and we aim to ensure that all students have an exceptional student experience. We understand the unique challenges faced by care leavers when entering higher education and if you choose to attend the University, you can access our support package specifically designed to offer you guidance from application, through to graduation and employment.
We offer support for looked-after children and care leavers by working in partnership with local councils, schools, colleges and other Universities regionally. For students wanting to find out more about studying at university and/or considering applying to the University of Southampton, we offer individual pre-application visits, providing the opportunity to speak to staff so you can learn more about the support available, and meet current students to hear first-hand about their university experience.
We recognise the additional challenges care experienced students can face whilst studying at university and offer the following support package:
- Contextual Admissions to recognise an individual’s achievements in the context of their background and experience
- Welcome Packs containing laptops, vouchers and gym memberships for new students*
- Care Leaver Bursary of £2,000 each academic year*
- Additional financial support through bursaries and opportunity funding to broaden your educational or cultural development
- Access to 365-day accommodation in halls of residence
- A named contact within the University and Students Union
- Study support from the Academic Skills Hub
- Access to Careers and Employability Service throughout your studies and up to five years after graduation
- Graduation support to cover the cost of robes, photography and Grad Ball ticket.
*Details correct at time of writing and all subject to students meeting eligibility criteria.